We know that healthcare services for patients with breathing illnesses like asthma or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) can vary from place to place across across Norfolk and Waveney. So we are actively working to make sure patients are receiving consistent care no matter where they are.
We are already working on a range of programmes to improve respiratory services, including:
- Taking a fresh look at each patients' prescription to make sure they are taking the most appropriate medicines or combinations of medicines
- Looking at how we can offer 'talking therapies' for people whose asthma and COPD is leading to significant low mood or depression
- Working to reduce readmissions for patients admitted with acute exacerbations of COPD
- Making sure our workforce develop new skills and this includes training in COPD exacerbations for paramedics, and identified Respiratory Champions for our primary care staff
- We are also focussing on the pathways for adult patients with asthma and COPD and this has included a significant piece of work with respiratory clinicians
If your doctor or nurse advises you attend a pulmonary rehabilitation class, watch this video to find out what's in store and how you can benefit.